Be a current Undergraduate or Postgraduate student (Undergraduate students must have
completed a minimum 2 years of higher education)
Have C1 CEFR level in English
Undertake placement as part of the Erasmus Programme
Have experience of an office or customer service environment
Newcastle University has 2 work placement opportunities available in its international divisions (1 x International Recruitment Operations; 1 x International Student Mobility and Integration).
The placements are designed for a student who requires a placement as part of their degree programme and who would be supported by the Erasmus Programme.
The placements would be of particular use to those students who intend to seek a career in the following areas;
- Higher Education Administration/Student Support;
- Marketing and Recruitment;
- Event Organisation and Management;
- International Marketing and Business
1. To provide high quality support for activity/projects within the international divisions. Examples of possible activities/projects include:
- Promotion of exchange programmes
- Recruitment Agent Liaison
- International meet-and greet services and orientation for
- Liaison with international partners
- Event organisation
Typical tasks undertaken in support of activities/projects include:
- dealing with follow-up enquiries
- telephone and e-mail interaction with key contacts
- dealing with application forms
- maintaining databases and producing reports
- undertaking research
- making arrangements for occasional large events
- up-dating web templates/pdf documents
- support in the organisation of overseas visits
- market intelligence and statistics
- campus tours for potential international students
To undertake general duties as agreed with the Line Manager to ensure the smooth functioning of the entire office.
3. To assist with overseas visit arrangements for staff in the international divisions.
4. To assist with arrangements for visitors to the University on international business.
5. To undertake staff development training sessions deemed relevant and appropriate to the role.
Individual Projects (a sample)
To undertake research and marketing support for international recruitment operations
(with appropriate supervision and support) To undertake planning and organising of “remote” recruitment activities (including production of marketing materials, logistical support and remote staff training).
To undertake promotion of international opportunities for existing Newcastle students
To create profiles of international partners and other web appropriate materials
To organise integration activities for the student community
To contribute to the preparation of an International Partnerships database.
To contribute to an Internal Communications Project, disseminating key information to all stakeholders
Personal Outcome Dimensions of Work Placement
On completion of the work placement the individual should be able to demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and experience:
Evidence of substantial relevant office experience, particularly with an international dimension
Knowledge of international markets
An understanding of the major issues relating to international student recruitment and
Be a team player, able to initiate, develop and maintain productive working relationships
Have good oral and written communication skills
Able to manage a diverse and complex workload
Creative approach to problem solving
High level of literacy and numeracy , particularly in a second language
Good IT skills and competence in the use of Microsoft Office
Ability to work to tight deadlines with a high level of accuracy
Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise workload
Strong customer-focused approach
Collaborative and flexible work style, with evidence of the ability to work effectively as part
of a team.
Flexible attitude to the constantly changing demands of an international work situation
Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate a positive impression of the
Length: 6-12 months
submit to: email@example.com
500 word personal statement detailing why they believe they are suitable for the placement and its
purpose within their studies and for their future career plans
Recent academic transcripts
Proof of English Language ability
Names and contact details of two referees
Completion of Statements of Disclosure
Shortlisted applicants must be willing to undertake an interview via Skype
Application Deadline: 1 July 2018
Free en suite accommodation
will be provided in one of the University’s Halls’ of Residence.